Friday, July 4, 2008

Bytes, Blue Jays and Bios

Long weekends throw me off. Not to say that I don’t like being off work for an extra day, but my body is used to a five-day rhythm and will invariably wake me up early on the Friday or Monday that I’m off. Never mind having a day of work BEFORE the holiday. Friggin’ Canada Day. So blame Canada for me missing the post on Tuesday. I had this whole thing worked out where I was going to write about the different versions of O Canada we used to play in the hallways before school, but without the actual songs it would seem pretty lame. So if I ever find them I’ll write that blog. But just for my own edification, would people know what I meant if I wrote “ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba DOO-DOO-DOO…DOO-DOO-DOO…ba-Ba-BAHHHHHH…O Canada”?

So random music stuff from this week!

* I bought an 80GB iPod Classic cause my tiny 4-gig Nano was getting pretty useless (unlike Relient K, who have told me through rousing song that they are a little more than useless). As it turns out, buying an 80GB after having a 4GB is like running out of room on a 100-CD rack and buying an ENTIRE OTHER HOUSE to store your CDs. I have 1200 songs and five videos on the thing and I’ve barely filled 20GB. I may have to start loading up some viruses or something just to justify it. The annoying thing is that if I want something with a more reasonable size I have to get a 32GB iTouch, which is twice as expensive as the 80GB iPod, which makes me pretty iPissed. The nice bit is the price tag, which was $272 after taxes. I’m told that the 30GB Classics were going for more than that two years ago. Considering this whole gas crisis thing is expected to drive up electronics prices by next summer I may have gotten a steal.

* I just finished listening to The Con by Tegan and Sara and will try to post a review next week. Suffice to say I really dig this album and am thankful to my friend Brielle for turning me on to it. Brille made me a “Sexy Dance Mix” with all these bands I really like, so you may see more of that soon.

* I went to see a Blue Jays game last week with Krista and thought it was cool that each batter gets his own theme music (one guy even used Stone Cold Steve Austin’s theme, which would have been cool if he had a hit that night). It got me to thinking what my top 5 entrance themes would be if I were a baseball player (stick with me here, this is a flight of fantasy).

1. “Big Brat”, Phantom Planet (maybe it could be renamed Big BAT!!! HA…heh…um, right).
2. “It’s A Hit” We Are Scientists (so clever)
3. “So What’cha Want” Beastie Boys
4. “Time To Dance” Panic At The Disco (they dropped the “!”)
5. “Juicebox” The Strokes

* One of the best things about being in bands is writing your bio, at least for me. So I was tickled when I found my bio posted at Critical Mass’ website this week! Their main link is to the right, but click here for the bio section.

L8r sk8r b01z AND (at Steph's urging)GRRLZ

5 comments:

Steph said...

I DO know what you mean by that O Canada version. It was the worst. I believe that it was the Nylons (that's right, The Lion Sleeps Tonight Nylons...are you surprised?)

Also: the r in surprise always throws me off.

Also: I believe you meant to say: sk8r boiz AND GRRLZ...inclusivity Kerry! You must embrace it! Don't be like a bad worship song! ;)

k.burk said...

okay, i have to disagree, steph -- that was like my FAVORITE version of our anthem in high school!! so layered and ... creative, yes, with the vocal percussion. and totally stuck in my head until 3rd period.

also: i read your CM bio, kerry, and i have to say, you had my attention until it started to LIST YOUR GEAR!!! what the crap is all that noise?! i was expecting "drums". you are a complicated man, and i have much to learn.

Amanda Bast said...

I also know which version of O Canada you are referring to...the kiddies dance around whenever they hear that one!

Amanda Bast said...

Also, I noticed that one person in your band was born in Wiarton. Neat-o.

Amanda Bast said...

I also very much enjoy that I show up as "Lion's Head" on your traffic feed.